Essential Skills for Administration Professionals
Learn all the necessary skills to be an efficient and effective admin professional in today's modern working environment.
A dynamic workshop where participants will define their role as an administrative professional, understand how they can make a difference in their organisation, develop the skills to prepare for and support business processes, review their own performance and work effectively as an essential member of the team.
Anyone who is new to the admin profession, looking to re-enter the profession, or wanting to keep up with best practice to be the best admin professional you can be. Specifically this may include executive assistants and administrators involved in professional administrative roles, from any industry.
- Identify the key skills and attributes required to be a good admin professional
- Recognise the common challenges of the profession
- Identify tools available to enhance efficiencies
- Determine processes and procedures to enhance efficiencies
- Use planning techniques to support the role
- Understanding time and priority management tools
- Compare different types of meetings and how to manage each
- Effective business documentation
- Understand best practice in record management
- Understand how emotional intelligence relates to the role
- Recognise own and others communication styles
- Understand team dynamics and how to be an effective team member
- An understanding of the requirements and procedures for administration roles
- To recognise common challenges encountered by admin professionals
- To identify the tools, processes, procedures and templates to enhance efficiencies
- To utilise planning, organisation, time and priority management tools and techniques
- Best practice in meeting management, business documentation and record management
- Understand Emotional Intelligence, its principles at work, communication and assertiveness skills and being an effective team member. .
One day, 9am – 4.30pm
Limited to a maximum of 12 participants.
Your facilitator – Sherie Pointon
Sherie Pointon is the director of Admin Advantage, and her passion is the professional development of all business support professionals.
Sherie has been an administrative professional for over 20 years in the public and not-for-profit sector, and has held positions such as the National 1st Vice President of the Association of Administrative Professionals NZ Inc (AdmiNZ), Executive Officer at the Institute of Public Administration NZ (IPANZ), Personal Assistant to the Principal of a large New Zealand Secondary School, Personal Assistant to tier two Managers in the Education Government Agencies (ERO and TEC) and Business/Project Manager at Ako Aotearoa, the National Centre for Tertiary Teaching Excellence as well as a range of administration roles. Sherie has also been a finalist two years running in the prestigious Administrative Professional Award.
Sherie continues to work in business support roles on contract, including as Executive Officer of AdmiNZ. Being an active practitioner is an important part of knowing what current practice in administration is. Sherie is also the Chair of Carterton School Board of Trustees, Board Member of Hockey Wairarapa and Trustee of the Wairarapa Sports Artificial Turf Trust.
Sherie is a popular speaker at conferences throughout New Zealand and internationally and has an interactive and fun training style that allows participants to expand their skills and knowledge. Sherie holds qualifications in teaching (Tertiary and Secondary) along with a Bachelor of Arts degree and AdmiNZ Certification.