Financial Skills for Non-Financial Managers
Financial competence is critical for business success. This course covers an introduction to the basic concepts of finance, and will help you understand how to read and use financial data to make better informed decisions for your organisation. .
Business owners, managers or anyone who plans, manages, or reports on financial data and wants a broader understanding of business finance.
- Understand the terminology
- Gain an insight into accounting concepts
- Understand why planning is key to financial management
- Understand the budgeting and forecasting process
- Gain an understanding of revenue and expenditure, assets and liabilities; and capital
- Understand the fundamentals of capital expenditure and depreciation
- Learn the importance of cash management
- Learn tools to evaluate financial performance
- Understand how to read, analyse and interpret financial statements
- Financial terminology
- Fundamentals of planning, budgeting and forecasting
- Types of expenses
- Accrual vs. cash accounting
- Developing a Profit and Loss Statement
- Capital expenditure and depreciation
- Developing a Balance Sheet
- Cash management
- Reading financial information to monitor and report performance
- Financial tools (including ratios) to analyse and interpret financial data.
This course is very practical. Participants will be shown the various processes, tools and techniques and then apply them in individual or small group exercises.
One day, 9am – 4.30pm
Your facilitator – Richard Millar
Richard is an experienced trainer and consultant. His areas of expertise include leadership development, front line management development, team development, executive and personal development coaching, strategic/business planning and accounting for non-accountants training.
Richard has worked in a wide variety of organisations from small to large organisations in New Zealand, Australia and Papua New Guinea.
Richard’s depth of business knowledge and skills in sales, marketing, finance and general management coupled with a very practical approach to training and facilitation has provided excellent value to a large number of organisations.
Richard is a member of the New Zealand Society of Accountants and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries & Administrators. He is an accredited DISC® consultant in behavioural profiling and a registered practitioner in MBTI®. He is a Fellow of the NZ Institute of Management and is qualified in Moderation and Workplace Assessment with NZQA. He holds the National Certificate in Adult Education and Training.
He provides community support as a Justice of the Peace for New Zealand. He is also an approved mentor for Business Mentors New Zealand and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand.
Regional Business Partner (RBP) Management Capability Fund
Application has been made to register this programme with the RBP Management Capability Fund. To explore if your business is eligible for support contact your local Regional Business Growth Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or register your business here. Your Regional Growth Advisor will advise you on your eligibility for capability development funding. Find out more by visiting www.regionalbusinesspartners.co.nz.
“Great content and great facilitator.”
“Great facilitator, practical examples, at the right level for me. I was more engaged than I thought I would be.”
“Richard was great at explaining and giving real life examples.”
“Richard encouraged conversation and always took time to answer questions.”
“Course was engaging and provided a good overview of relevant and applicable topics."