30 March 2021
Southland Newcomer Leadership Scholarship
Invercargill City Council, Southland District Council, and Gore District Council have identified that there is an opportunity for newcomers to hold leadership positions within Southland’s business, community and not-for-profit sectors.
The Southland Newcomer Leadership Scholarship is a contestable fund whereby eligible applicants can apply to access funding to enable them to participate in the Southland Chamber of Commerce Leadership Academy.
The Southland Leadership Academy is a part-time programme which runs over multi weeks, two hours per session. The programme provides future leaders (in both the community and business sectors) with the opportunity to build their leadership capabilities through their own personal development and by learning from the experience of others.
The successful applicant, at the completion of the programme will have the skills, connections, and confidence to be leaders in their receiving community. Each session is led by a senior executive from a significant Southland business or community organisation who provide tutoring to the group across several leadership topics.
To find out more information about the Leadership Academy programme including testimonies from previous participants please visit www.southlandchamber.co.nz/sla/.
This scholarship is open to “ethnic newcomers” living within the Southland region. This may include but is not limited to working migrants, former refugees and international students.
The scholarship will cover the attendance fee – valued at $1,500* per person for the following dates
- Edendale –Tuesday 13 April to Tuesday 25 May 2021, 7pm – 9pm
- Invercargill – Friday 14 May to Friday 2 July 2021, 9am – 11am
- Lumsden – Tuesday 8 June to Tuesday 20 July 2021, 7pm – 9pm
- Invercargill – Friday 27 August to Friday 15 October 2021, 9am – 11am
- Gore – Friday 24 September to Friday 12 November 2021, 9am – 11am
It is expected that recipients of the scholarship attend all sessions where possible and work towards successful completion of the course. *This does not cover petrol costs to attend the sessions, this will have to be covered by the applicant.
Prior leadership experience is not mandatory, however a desire to hold a leadership position in your community will be looked upon favourably.
Click here to download application form.
Welcoming Communities contacts
Please do not hesitate to contact one of the Welcoming Communities administrators if you have any questions
- Southland District Council – Karen Purdue: 0800 732 732 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gore District Council – Mark McCann: 021 327 611 or email@example.com
- Invercargill City Council – Gemma Crawford: 021 678 181 or firstname.lastname@example.org